Friday, February 6, 2009

The Badest Worstest Day Ever!

Today M came off the bus and I wasn't paying close enough attention to the time. I suddenly hear a knock on the door and realize I had forgotten to open it for her. As I get closer to the door I realize that M is outside crying. I open the door to a somewhat hysterical M, who has snow all over the front of her. Apparently on her way up to the door she slipped on the ice and fell into the snow. I think that was enough, after the day she had had, to send her into tears. I asked her what
happened and after telling me about falling, she told me she "had the badest, worstest day ever!" I asked her why her day was so bad and these were her reasons:
*I missed two words on my spelling test. (She has never missed a word before, which is much better than I did as a first grader. In her defence the words were mad and made, and she just got them mixed up.)
*At lunch the lunch line was really long, and since I brought lunch no one sat by me for a long time, and when they did, they didn't talk to me!
*I got a paper cut and my teacher didn't have a band aid, so I had to go to the nurse to get one.
*My band aid fell off in music, and my music teacher didn't have a band aid, so now I don't have a band aid and my paper cut hurts worse. (Imagine tears intensifying at this point)
*I was trying to walk up the driveway and I fell on the ice and now my new Valentine's dress is all wet and I am cold...it's just the badest, worstest day ever.
We ended up coming inside and I held her on my lap for a few minutes and then we called daddy to see if he could help her calm down. For some reason she was really worried she would disappoint daddy by not getting all her spelling words correct. The phone call with daddy and cuddling with mommy were enough to calm her down a bit. The promise of homemade cookies also got her past her bad day! I know not everything on her list was the end of the world, but as a mommy it makes me sad when she is crying and so upset. I was glad the day ended on a good note for her and she went to bed a happy little girl. If I could take all the badest worstest days away for her, I would!
B, on the other hand, had a pretty good day. Lately, B has been obsessed with Lady Bugs. I guess since she was a lady bug for Halloween, she has decided they are one of her favorite things!! Yesterday, while at Target, she spotted these lady bug pajama's. She instantly asked (very nicely) if she could have them. I figured I would let her hold them and then put them back when she forgot about them. Well, she never let go of them! I told her I would buy them for her if she would promise to wear big girl underwear everyday. (She has been potty trained for awhile, but always wants to wear pull-ups for some strange reason!) She said she would, so she got her lady bug p.j.'s! Today she worse panties without question, until we were in the car on the way to the library. She said, "Mommy, I think I need a pull up because the library said I couldn't wear big girl panties there." Nice try little B!!! I quickly explained that you were allowed to wear panties at the library and the subject was quickly dropped. She is so funny. She loved making cookies today as well. I haven't made homemade cookies in months and she has been asking me for the past few weeks to make them. Of course, she loves the dough, but when I gave her a cooked cookie, she was upset it wasn't the dough!! O, she is my kind of girl!!

10 comments:

amelia said...

they're such sweethearts. i'm glad you and ryan were able to help soothe M's troubles, no matter how simple they might sound to us grown-ups.

love you all!

Casey said...

such a sweet story! isn't it nice to be able to make it all better? love B's pj's too...

chellae said...

Have you guys read the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst? It is great. Sounds like M would like it very much. BTW, she had on a beautiful blue dress today. Sigh. Maybe our next child will be a girl...

Natalie said...

Cookies always make me feel better!

Next time she has a bad day, you can remind her of this one and hopefully it won't seem as bad (or perhaps it'll become the new badest, worstest day ever).

smlaw said...

Give M a hug for us. H would be so sad to hear she was sad. She talks about her daily. H has a lady bug blanket which she called her "ay-ku-bug blanket". She always wants to wear her pajamas that she's outgrown and for some reason she can remember every pair of pajamas she's ever had it seems and pines over them daily.

Sandra said...

I love bribery and cookies! I try the "you can hold on to it thing too." Lately, mine haven't forgotten either.

Dani W said...

Oh I remember days like M's... at least a day ends so quickly and a new one begins. :)

JeMM said...

I love these small glimpses into your family. What darling children you have! I really hope M has only the bestest mostest great days from now on!
Love ya!

Jessica said...

I had to read every word because it was so sad! Poor M! And tell Ryan not to be so darn mean about a few measly spelling words. Geez.

I stinketh not!! said...

I love those girls. They make me smile. Not to mention your an awesome Mom!