Tuesday, April 10, 2007
ME
So, today I am joining weight watchers with some of my friends. I have thought a lot about posting this fact, I mean, do I really want the world to know that I'm overweight?! I guess I decided to share this part of my life because my weight has been a life long struggle and I need to once and for all acknowledge it and accept that I will need support in my journey. I guess posting about it is also a way to feel some sort of responsibility. Now that anyone can see I'm doing this I will get questions about how I'm doing and I will need to be accountable. I think the hardest thing to realize is I won't go from my current weight to 125 overnight! It will be a long battle and I am ready to start! Another announcement is that R and I have decided to run a 5k in two weeks! It makes me a bit nervous but it is something I have always wanted to do. It is interesting because I have always wanted to attempt a 5k but have never felt ready. Even when I was running regularly and was 125 I felt like I still wasn't good enough to run a race. Now, I am probably the most out of shape I have been and yet I am pulling the confidence out of me somewhere to attempt this race! I think my husband has a lot to do with that confidence. He said he will run the whole race with me which is nice since he will be slowed down quite a bit! He just made me realize that actually running the race and finishing it is more important than the time it is done in! Anywho, here is my post to the world...I am working on changing ME and being good to ME!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
i think it's great you're running a 5K with ryan. i've been wanting to do that for ages and ages, but never have. even when i was capable of doing it. i think it needs to go on my list of 101 things to do...
and i think it's great that you're doing weight watchers with a friend. i've done my share of feeling frustrated with my life where it is and i've discovered the obvious--that the only way to get anywhere is to keep moving. to take steps in the direction of the goal. because even if you never reach the end goal, at least you're headed in the direction rather than sitting still because you're overwhelmed.
yesterday on the radio i heard a recent biographer of albert einstein's quote him saying: "life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." entirely apt. if we don't keep moving, we lose balance and fall. and that's no fun at all. so good for you. i'm sure it will take time and a lot of effort. but you'll be happier, just because you're doing something about a problem you've identified rather than doing nothing.
now i just need to take my own advice. :)
Hey Jeni-
Sounds like fun! Just how far is a 5k??? (Mark just left for Tues. night Scouts or I would have asked)
My knees take about 2.5 miles before I feel like I'm pushing too hard. sad.
Good luck with the weight watcher program too. Those kind of commitments are good to make with a friend! Hopefully you can keep each other going!
I'll share a couple of my eating tricks....when I think I need to loose a few pounds I try to trick my mind. For example - instead of making cornbread (which I love smoothered in butter and syrup) in a pan which allows me to cut BIG pieces, I make corn muffins....two muffins would be equal to one of my cut pieces of cornbread....but it "seems" like I am eating more when I eat two muffins???
The other thing I will do is dish up my dinner on a smaller plate - the smaller plate makes a smaller portion look bigger ha, ha, ha how can I KNOW I do these things and still TRICK my brain??? Sorry, I'm not smart enough to answer that - BUT I do know it seems to help me cut back. I do try to make my portions smaller of everything and then take a drink at the end of a meal and eat a piece of fruit instead of getting seconds. Of course, if it is something I just love....I just start out with a smaller protion and then seconds equals what I would have normally eaten as firsts.
I also think there is something to the yogurt drinks I have been drinking for breakfast! I don't know what but it seems they fill me up and I'm less likely to fill up on snacks between meals. I will also trade pancakes and french toast for a healthy cereal with bananas and strawberries cut up on top. Two smaller type meals one healthy snack and eat whatever I want for dinner (using the tricks above)
Sorry for the long comment.....GOOD LUCK!
I love you!
tash
5K is 3 miles (.6 kilometers per mile).
I am so proud of you. I was going to start my "new healthy lifestyle" on Tuesday, but we got home late Monday night and I was exhausted. Needless to say, it didn't happen. I am thinking of doing WW, too. I told Amy to tell you that I am indeed a fatty, so that you will know I have been truthful. Tash saw me a few weeks ago, too. I have 2 witnesses to the fact that I've got lbs. to shed. You can have your support over there and you have my support here. I'm always just a phone call away!
Love ya,
Ab
Good luck, but don't be afraid to walk. I had run a couple 5k's in college and was running a mile or two off and on (this was like a year ago before I was prego) and then thought I could pull a 5K and I walked way more than I thought, but I finished (last). Okay there were like 12 people total, all runners by nature, but I got a free t-shirt for energy coffee. So worth it. But since you always ran in front of me, use that as motivation that I am sure you will beat me! (there were a lot of hills)
I am full of excuses.
Post a Comment