Saturday, March 24, 2007

Heart Stress


So yesterday I called my doctor because I had been having heart palpitations for over a day. The nurse at the doctors office told me I should "go straight to the ER...we don't mess around with the heart." After that reassuring phone call I broke down in tears for a few minutes and then had to call R at work and ask him to come home and take me to the ER. My lovely neighbor watched the girls for me and while I waited for R to get home I cleaned the house. I mean, what if something serious happened to me and someone needed to come to my house? Of course it should be clean. (Okay, I know I am a bit crazy but that's just me!) After some poking and testing at the ER nothing was found except that yes I was having Heart palpitations and no it wasn't going to kill me. The doctor told me anything from stress and lack of sleep to an excess of caffeine would give me heart palpitations. They wouldn't kill me but they would just be annoying. Now I don't think my intake of caffeine from chocolate is enough to give me palpitations but possibly my ability to make myself stress out is! When we got married R found it funny that I said I was stressed out as much as I did. I guess I use the term loosely. For instance, when I walk by a room in my house and it is really messy I usually feel stress. (This sometimes is a overwhelming feeling and it is often accompanied by a pressure on my chest, not my heart though) I know, weird stuff. So the Doctor just told me to cut back on stress in my life (especially emotional stress) and relax. Well, now I just have one more thing to stress about...my stress is causing heart palpitations, GREAT!!

2 comments:

amelia said...

i think you should see this as a great reason to take some time for yourself. you know. to de-stress. :)

but i am serious about taking some time for yourself. it doesn't have to be alone time. i just mean that once a week you should plan to do something that will be enjoyable. set aside an hour or two. and during that time don't let yourself think about anything other than enjoying whatever it is you do, whether it's watching a movie or going out to eat or scrapbooking. and when your mind starts wandering in the direction of something that could be stressful, just set the thoughts aside and tell yourself you can think about it later.

you should do a little of that every day. but once a week you need a sizable dose. i've been doing that and it's done wonders.

natasha said...

Too bad the world has so many triggers!

Sunday, I ran into church and sat down just before the prayer.....yes, Mark and the boys saved us (girls) a seat up front....and all through the prayer my heart did the crazy fast beating.....enough for me to put my hand on Mark's arm and give him a look like.....**call 911 if I fall off the bench**. UGH! I live with this too Jeni.

STRESS.......Somedays just get away from me and I have HAD to learn how to be ok with it. I still don't like it....but it is what it is. After 40 years, I'm finally accepting that there is a GRAND CANYON between my IDEAL WORLD and REALITY! hee, hee, hee
a few years ago I wouldn't be laughing about it.

I agree with AMY - do something (OR do nothing) YOU CHOOSE - for you and don't let those stupid selfish feelings guilt you out of it.

You will love everyone around you MORE the more you love YOU!

I love you!
tash