Friday, December 5, 2008

Greenalicious!

M loves spinach and arugula! I don't think I've ever met a kid quite like her! We had soup tonight with arugula in it and she was so excited. She wanted seconds with mostly arugula in it! Is this saying something about me...am I not feeding her healthy enough so she loves greens?!!















A couple of weeks ago she came home from school and told me that the teacher asked the class if anyone liked spinach. Nobody did so M decided to say she didn't as well. She came home quite upset because..."Mom, I do like spinach but no one else did!" I told her it was ok...she could still have it and not have to tell her whole class.






My friends found this recipe from Rachel Ray and it is now mine and M's favorite soup. M especially loves the arugula!

Chicken and White Bean Stew

4 slices of bacon, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 pound red potatoes (or just regular baking potatoes)
1 32 ounce container of chicken stock/broth (I used this plus an extra smaller can of chicken stock)
1 whole rotisserie chicken
1-2 15.5 ounce cans small white beans, rinsed
5 ounces arugula (5 cups)
salt and pepper
1. In a large soup pot cook the bacon over medium heat until cooked but not crisp, about five minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about five minutes. Add the potatoes and chicken broth and simmer until the potatoes are tender about 15 minutes
2. Pull meat off the chicken; discard skin. Add the chicken and white beans to the stew after potatoes are done and cook until heated through. Just before serving, stir in the arugula and season to taste with salt and pepper. It looks like a lot of arugula but it shrinks a lot when you stir it in.



I just thought I would throw this picture in since M learned this from her Uncle Brett this past week. Heaven knows I would never teach my nephews or nieces to show their food!! Thanks Uncle Brett!!

6 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

wow, what a healthy mom! I don't think I have ever even made spinach or arugula. They love broccoli and zucchini, that has to count for something! I will have to make your soup though and see how it goes, thanks for sharing!

I stinketh not!! said...

that looks yummy, I love fresh spinach, cant do cooked spinach however. Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try it out

chellae said...

I love, love, love arugula. I can't wait to try this recipe. Tell M that one day she will find that probably other kids do like spinach and she can lead the crusade for spinach!

Marie said...

This reminds me of the children's book, "The Bad Case of Stripes", I think by David Shannon.

Casey said...

amazing! I am speechless!

Sandra said...

Sounds yummy! No pinkeye at my house. Thanks for helping me out!