So, this is little B this morning. I was just getting ready to leave and thought I would throw her hair in a pony tail quickly before we headed out the door. When I pulled her hair up I saw something that looked like a squished bug on her neck. I was about to wipe it off and then the dreaded word popped into my head...TICK! I have never before seen a tick so I quickly called R to come look at the gross thing on B's neck. He quickly concluded it was a tick embedded in her neck. After consulting with the nurse at the B's
doctor's office we went ahead and tried pulling
the tick out with tweezers. I thought it would be straight forward...you know, squeeze tick, pull with gentle pressure, tick comes out. Oh no, not so simple. Said little tick grips on to Brie's neck for dear life if comes out in three or four pieces. Meanwhile, B is patiently sprawled across my lap while R performs "surgery" on her tick neck. We weren't able to get the head out so the doctor wanted us to bring her into the office.To make a long story a little less long, the doctor got a bit more of the head out but not all of it. He prescribed antibiotics and had the tick sent to a lab to test for Lyme disease. B laid on the doctors exam table perfectly still while he tried to get the remains of the tick out. He was pretty amazed at how still she was, as was I!
This afternoon the doctor called and said the lab mixed up two different ticks and didn't know whose tick was whose. Ends up, B will have to have her blood drawn in six to eight weeks. Hopefully she will hold perfectly still for that too, although my instincts tell me that will not be the case!
B is such a little trooper and I am so glad R was here to do all the yucky stuff. I have always feared ticks and now, I have lived through that fear! (I guess technically it wasn't on me and I did do a bit of dry heaving, but I think I have been tested and will never have to see a tick again!) Minus a bit of itching, life has gotten back to normal after our fun filled morning! (To look on the positive side of things, I did get a trip to Target out of the whole thing...to get medicine of course!)
8 comments:
Oh no! I hope she (and you) are okay. I would have totally freaked out probably causing my child to as well.
Awesome job B!( and Mom) for staying calm. Ticks are icky. My dogs get them alot. I use one of those nail cutical trimmers ( the ones that have a V shape) to get the heads out. It works really well. Too bad theres not Avantage for humans. ehhh now i'm all itchy.
We've had ticks as well, but not on the kids yet... I am sure they'd freak out - They can't seem to sit still for a simple sliver ~ What a good girl B is! We actually just bought some stuff to put down in the yard that will get rid of ants/ticks/grubs - hopefully it will keep us in the clear this summer!
Oh Jen.....YUCK! Why are some bugs "cute" and others are so gross?
I also wonder if bees and wasps were designed to entertain the Heavens and all that are in them....as they are the critters that make me act like a complete fool while doing yardwork.....always after my "get away from buzzing bee dance - while weeding the yard" I think how entertaining that must have been for anyone watching.
AND WEEDS....thats another one that I question! :)
oh, I'm so sorry she had to experience ticks. we haven't had that yet. I hope she's ok.
I hate ticks.. poor girl. I am glad all went ok. Good luck on the blood test!
Wow! I can't believe she was so still and calm for the "surgery"! I hope the blood draw goes just as well!
I have heard of more deer tick bites this year than any time I can remember. My neighbor came over today to show me one [had a red ring around it] and asked if I thought she should go to the doctor... argh!
Way to be so observant, Mom!
Post a Comment