Recently, we purchased an E-Z pass for our car. It is a pass that allows you to drive on all the toll roads without having to stop and pay at a toll booth. Conveniently our credit card is charged while we go though a lane passing all the other suckers stuck in the line waiting to pay! I was excited about our pass because my brother in D.C. has one and the first time I rode with him he was going really fast through the booth area and I was scared he would hit the gate before it went up. He said he has figured out how fast he can go without hitting the gate and likes scarring first timers through the toll booth. Right then and there I knew I needed an E-Z pass so I could scare all my future passengers! So, this summer my dream came true. I have a pass and my sister and I took a road trip to Boston...my perfect opportunity to illicit fear from my passenger. It ends up that most of the time cars are in front of me going through the toll booth and they slow down to the posted 5 mph speed limit. Of course I am frustrated thinking that the drivers should live a little...just go faster. My opportunity finally comes when no one is in front of me. I have to be careful so I don't hit the gate but I know 5 mph is really conservative. I decide that somewhere around 20 mph is okay and we make it through the gate. Now, my scare tactic doesn't work because my sister has driven with my brother in D.C. but the thrill of pushing the limit is still there! Well, we had a fun time in Boston and my sister has since left. Today in the mail I received a letter from the New York State Thruway Authority. They, the powers that be, have informed me that I was going 26 mph through the toll lane on Aug. 19 at 2:08 and warned that next time an infraction occurred my E-Z pass could be revoked. What? I think the punishment does not fit the crime. I think a ticket was in order...how dare I speed through a toll booth. Mr. Authority, I was just going with the flow of traffic. I guess it is nice having the pass but now where is the fun in it? How am I supposed to scare unsuspecting passengers if I know I am being watched by the Authority and I may lose the privilege of my pass? Such a sad day...but I am sure my travels will still go on. They will just be at a much slower pace!
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Burning Rubber
Recently, we purchased an E-Z pass for our car. It is a pass that allows you to drive on all the toll roads without having to stop and pay at a toll booth. Conveniently our credit card is charged while we go though a lane passing all the other suckers stuck in the line waiting to pay! I was excited about our pass because my brother in D.C. has one and the first time I rode with him he was going really fast through the booth area and I was scared he would hit the gate before it went up. He said he has figured out how fast he can go without hitting the gate and likes scarring first timers through the toll booth. Right then and there I knew I needed an E-Z pass so I could scare all my future passengers! So, this summer my dream came true. I have a pass and my sister and I took a road trip to Boston...my perfect opportunity to illicit fear from my passenger. It ends up that most of the time cars are in front of me going through the toll booth and they slow down to the posted 5 mph speed limit. Of course I am frustrated thinking that the drivers should live a little...just go faster. My opportunity finally comes when no one is in front of me. I have to be careful so I don't hit the gate but I know 5 mph is really conservative. I decide that somewhere around 20 mph is okay and we make it through the gate. Now, my scare tactic doesn't work because my sister has driven with my brother in D.C. but the thrill of pushing the limit is still there! Well, we had a fun time in Boston and my sister has since left. Today in the mail I received a letter from the New York State Thruway Authority. They, the powers that be, have informed me that I was going 26 mph through the toll lane on Aug. 19 at 2:08 and warned that next time an infraction occurred my E-Z pass could be revoked. What? I think the punishment does not fit the crime. I think a ticket was in order...how dare I speed through a toll booth. Mr. Authority, I was just going with the flow of traffic. I guess it is nice having the pass but now where is the fun in it? How am I supposed to scare unsuspecting passengers if I know I am being watched by the Authority and I may lose the privilege of my pass? Such a sad day...but I am sure my travels will still go on. They will just be at a much slower pace!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
So funny... I wonder if your brother has ever received such a letter? I was laughing out loud when I read about the letter!
Thanks, that gave me a good laugh on a Friday morning at work! We have what's called a Cruise Card in Georgia and its only in my car. I was driving Tad's car one day and totally forgot I didn't have a pass and sped thru. I have an Idaho plate, so I think they gave me a freebee, I never got a ticket. We only have to slow to 45mph though, there is no gate, so everyone still goes 70. Too bad, no scare factor.
I'm just going to call you dare-devil! Bummer about your e-z pass though :-)
i'm so glad i could be part of your brush with the law...
thanks for the laugh. and too bad about mr. authority putting a crimp in your style (or is it a cramp?). doesn't he know we come by our speed demons legitimately?
We loved using our E-Z while in the east! Sadly, there is no need for one here in the middle of now where. I guess we must be a bit nostalgic about using it though because it's one of those things we haven't gotten around to returning to "Mr. Authority" since our move 8 months ago! There it still proudly sits on the windshield of our truck, just below the rearview mirrow like some badge of honor. Maybe I'll get around to returning that little box one of these days, then again, maybe I won't. : )
Ok...now I'm ROLLING ON THE FLOOR laughing.....horse laughing that is!!! haa, haa, har, harrr haa ha!! maybe I should add a neighhhh, heey, hey!
Ok.....thanks for the comic relief Mark and I needed it today as I am sitting here reading your blog instead of attacking my way too big TO DO LIST!
Off to Haiti in 3 more days!!!
J-- nice one. we are always watchng.
rob
Post a Comment