Thursday, January 31, 2008
Labor
OK, so I have been watching those baby shows on t.v. lately...no, I'm not expecting, just passing the time while sick! I have to get on my soap box and share for a minute. I can't bellieve how many of the moms on the shows say they want to have a baby with no drugs and end up getting epidurals. I am always shocked when they say...I wanted to do it without drugs but the pain was just so extreme. One lady was just barely in labor and she complained to her doctore that the pain wasn't getting better...it was getting worse. OK, come on ladies...it's called labor for a reason! I don't have anything against drugs...if you want them, take them. I guess I just think there needs to be reasonable expectations. Labor hurts...bad...real bad! Don't expect to just get through without drugs if it doesn't hurt...because it will hurt. One of the few things in life you can count on...labor equals pain! It is hard but worth it, either way I'm sure. I am blessed to have had two labors, drug free, which have been very exciting. I don't think all women are meant to go without drugs. My thought is if you want to not use medicine...then don't give yourself the option, because it will hurt. If you want drugs, take them, do what is right for you! That's my piece of advice for the day. Make up you mind and just do it. I guess I could take that advice in other area's of my life, but I'll save those thoughts for another day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
You had both your labors drug free, was that because you didn't want the drugs?
And if so what did you find most helpful to getting through all that pain?
I've never been through labor yet so I only have the experience of others to help base my expectations and thoughts on the subject.
I guess I never thought of giving birth without drugs until I met my doctor. He is a big believe in natural child birth. I gave it a try and did it. I'm not really pro or con drugs. I think by having natural child birth I got a huge mental reward. I did something really hard that not many people can do. It's something I am proud of because it was really hard. Not saying anybody else shouldn't be proud...just something I was able to accomplish for myself. My labors were pretty short but very intense. (7 hours and 4 hours) I think just going in without the option of drugs is what worked for me. I made up my mind and there was no options. I think having a supportive doctor is really important. I also think you have to be realistic. If your labor is 40 hours get drugs...but I say anything is possible, as long as it's less than a day!
By the way...do you mind inviting me to your blog Aup??
I agree with your blog, its important to decide either way because when the pain starts, you really can't make good decisions.
Some people (like me) really need drugs though. I think if I were born in pioneer times, I would have only had one child. I think a lot of it is pain tolerance (which you know yours is extremely high compared to wimpy me) but more than that, its mental. I know a lot of people who did Bradley method and a lot of it is mental. It does drive me crazy when people are surprised it hurts so much. But women were doing it for thousands of years with out drugs.
Thanks for the info. I would really like to try without drugs but everyone else I have ever talked to things I am crazy, but I guess I will have the hurdle whenever I get there.
I don't have your email so I emailed Wendy to get it and once I have it I will definitely invite you to read our blog.
You are totally right. I always tell new moms that say, "I'll TRY without drugs first" that if they give themselves the option, there is no way they won't do it.
I have an 4 epidurals (but 2 were given 15 minutes before delivery, so I FULLY transitioned and I truly felt out of mind crazy with pain, so I feel like I know what I'm talking about) so I am fine with drugs. I just think people need to be realistic.
I loved having drugs with L, I was able to talk and experience his labor and remember so much more than when I had R. It wasn't bad with R, but it was just more relaxing and I was able to focus more on everything around me and the baby w/an epi. It was nice to be able to talk w/J and laugh at stuff. R's was more intense and I remember more pain than the experience (and it was 30hrs long). I always say go drug, that's why they made it!
You are a very brave lady to post about something so controversial. I know a lot of people feel very strongly about topics like this...
I've had three babies naturally, no drugs - and I would do it again, if I thought I could handle another one running around.
Great points and comments! Being 6 months preggo with our first child... these are good things to consider! :)
Post a Comment