Friday, October 5, 2007

Does this make me look fat?

In high school I was at a friends house when her brother and wife were over. Her brothers wife tried on a pair of pants and came out and asked:



"Do these pants make me look fat?"



He responded..."Pants don't make you look fat, fat makes you look fat."



He was totally serious and I about died! It made me realize the truth in it, but I didn't think I would want someone telling me that! I have always remembered that and it has made me laugh through the years. I guess we can't blame the pants anymore!

9 comments:

Bonster said...

OK, I guess I need to go appologize to some pants now! Here I've been telling them they make me look fat and not wearing them, but I was the problem! ;-)

That is a funny story, totally made me chuckle

wendy_d23 said...

I say that all the time, because you told that story years ago. It does make me laugh.
In other new, how did you like last night? I feel so bad for Toby. And I loved Ryan's reaction to P and J dating.

zeeny said...

Ok, Winnie, I havn't watched it yet!!! R is in Utah recruiting so I thought I could hold out for Sat. night and watch it with him! I'll get back to you Sunday!!

Natalie said...

I still like to think that it is my clothes that are making me look fat - not me!

The office is so funny! I've just now started watching it this season... check out Carpoolers - it's funny too!

wendy_d23 said...

Sorry you haven't seen it! I didn't spoil anything though. There are some pretty good lines in this one though, but you can wait for R.

Jessica said...

Have they been married long??!

Every husband ought to know that it's the pants, or all the babies you've had, or the scale, or the weather...but it is not actual fat!

Natalie said...

I like Jessica!

amelia said...

now i want to know who said that. hilarious. and true.

quite honestly, i don't understand asking such a question. if you mean that you're not sure whether something look goods on you, then say you're not sure how it looks and ask for an opinion. and then don't blame the person if they say they don't think it looks good. it's not a criticism of you; it's just an opinion that a combination of some piece of clothing and your body doesn't work--something that happens for everyone regardless of how skinny or fat they are (trust me--i work on a college campus surrounded by all kinds of skinny 19 and 20 year old women who look terrible in the clothes they put on their bodies).

i have no patience for women (or men, though i haven't encountered many who do it) who ask whether they look fat in X and then fall to pieces if they're told that they do. it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of question so why ask it in the first place? just learn to dress your body and do it (if you need tips, i suggest "what not to wear"; stacy and clinton are awesome).

zeeny said...

So it was Sondra's brother, Paul. He was always brutally honest yet kind of funny. They have been married quite a while but that is just the type of humor he has!