Monday, October 22, 2007

Enviromentally Friendly, Except When it Comes to Bugs


I think I usually do a pretty good job of trying to be environmentally friendly. I have started buying Method cleaning supplies (found at Target) which I actually love. They don't hurt the environment and don't hurt my lungs when I'm scrubbing the bathtub! I recycle...especially plastic since I learned it never breaks down in land fills. I unplug most things when they are not in use and I try to use water wisely. When it comes to killing bugs, especially spiders, in my house, all bets are off. Yesterday there was a huge (to me it was huge) black spider on our kitchen floor. I couldn't get R to kill it since he was already at church. I thought of ignoring it but the thought of it running out and over my foot disgusted me. I decided to suck it up and kill the spider. Of course, I called M and B over for moral support which was pretty funny. They both screamed as I went in for the kill, which didn't make it easier on me! (I think they learned the scream from R...couldn't possibly be me!) I ended up getting about ten paper towels to kill the spider. When I was done with the act I thought of how many paper towels I had just wasted. But come on...who wants to feel the squish of death through the paper towels? Not me. It reminded me of my sister who had a spider on her pillow once and got my brother to kill it. Jared grabbed a Kleenex and Amy replied..."is that big enough?" Jared asked..."is the spider bigger than this?" holding up the Kleenex. O.K., the spider probably wasn't bigger than my paper towel but I don't like the crunch of bugs dying. I will do my best at keeping the earth beautiful but when it comes to killing bugs I will continue to waste paper towels! At least they aren't plastic towels!

9 comments:

amelia said...

hilarious. i wish i could have been there to see M and B's version of moral support. :) and as soon as you started telling this story, i immediately thought of jared holding up that kleenex...

squish of death indeed. i *hate* the squish of death.

wendy_d23 said...

yuck

Natalie said...

Yuck... You should have seen the size of the spider my dad and I saw outside my house a few weeks ago, it was so big I thought it was a little frog ~ I think it must be ladybug season - our windows are covered with them... Did you know ladybugs stink when you squish them?

zeeny said...

Yes I knew lady bugs stink when you kill them. Our old duplex used to get them inside everywhere all through the summer/fall. They have a pretty gross stink that stick around, at least in my nostrils.

amelia said...

i think it's funny that the environmentally "unfriedly" part of this story is the number of paper towels you used and not that you killed a spider... :)

amelia said...

or rather "unfrieNdly."

damn typos.

Jessica said...

I'm very impressed with your environmental awareness, but that spider was worth the paper towels, I'm sure.

natasha said...

ha, ha, ha!!! I *DO* wonder where the little girls get the ability to scream about such things! :)

My approach would have been to drop a large, heavy object on it first....yeah, you have to *wipe* up the mess....but you don't have to *RISK* feeling the "squish of death". See, older sisters are still good teachers! :)

...and your story reminds me of the day I *saved* MV from a flying cockroach in Haiti....YES, I used my flip flop to kill that one -- AND BEST OF ALL, I won some major bonding points with her!

love you,
tash

amelia said...

i can't believe you found the courage to kill a flying cockroach, tasha. i've seen you in action around large flying insects. and it didn't involve much killing; just a lot of arm-flapping and shrill shrieking...

:)